Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Little glimpse of who you are

I figured that I'd share a bit of my WoW story so you know where I'm coming from. My main character, Joyd the paladin of Alleria, is level 66. I started playing WoW in the summer of 2005. I'm a slow leveler, but the primary reason that I'm where I am is because I have only played for a few of the months since then; most of the time during the year I have other commitments keeping me busy. (Yes, that means I'm leaving the game again in a few months.) I've never quit out of boredom or anger, just the realization that I can only do so much at a time. This means that while I'm not level 70, I remember a lot of 'how it used to be', at least for lower level characters. For example, the original paladin talent trees really were very poor; there were a handful of skills worth getting, spread across all three trees. It blew my mind when I saw the mage trees, full of skills that actually did something concrete and cool.

I have always been holy. One nice thing about playing only very sporadically is that it seems like you get free talent refunds a lot, so my exact build has shifted quite a bit, but I've always had at least up to Divine Favor. I started out leveling holy with a splash of ret for Seal of Command, and am now primarily holy with a splash of ret. My talent build as of current is borderline comical, points placed more or less wherever they struck my fancy as I leveled up. (Putting the points into Purifying Power was -definitely- worth it for the Plaguelands - Hellfire stretch of the game.)

I genuinely like to heal. When I created my character, I really had no idea what the role of a paladin was; I certainly never dreamed that I'd be in a class considered one of the best healers in the game, and the class most able to solo while specced to heal well. (Or rather, the class that lost the least soloing ability by speccing to heal; priests and druids really eat it in the soloing department if they spec into their healing trees.)

I'm not an expert; any opinion I post here is the opinion of someone who does not have, all in all, much play time under his belt. If you think something I say is wrong, odds are you're right, and I'd love to hear from you.

No comments: